What is FCA?
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is touching millions of lives … one heart at a time. Since 1954, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been challenging coaches and athletes on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels to use the powerful medium of athletics to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA is the largest interdenominational, school-based, Christian sports ministry in America. FCA focuses on serving local communities by equipping, empowering and encouraging people to make a difference for Christ.
What can you tell me about the impact of FCA?
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is on the front lines doing battle for the lives of young people in our community. For over 60 years, FCA has focused on instilling character and values in the lives of students across America.
Through God’s power and with close to 1,300 staff, over 83,000 donors and thousands of volunteers, FCA reached nearly two million people through our Four C’s of Ministry: Coaches, Campus, Camp and Community. In 2015:
- Over 450,000 students were reached in 14,689 Campus Huddles worldwide.
- The 11th Annual Fields of Faith events had more than 189,000 students participate on approximately 526 athletic fields. Of those attendees, 5,966 committed to Christ, 6,647 recommitted to Christ, and 7,376 committed to read the Bible. God has used Fields of Faith to impact over one million people since it first began in 2004.
- FCA distributed 153,097 Bibles worldwide. FCA has 13 different Bibles and released the first-ever Spanish language Athlete’s Bible.
- More than 500,000 people visited an FCA-related website in 2015 to learn about the ministry, download free resources and connect with ministry in their area.
- Camp Ministry experienced a record breaking year with a total attendance of 94,505 at 619 FCA Camps in 41 states and 36 countries.
- 9,978 salvation decisions and 12,198 recommitments to the Lord were made through Camp Ministry.
- FCA saw incredible impact with a record 981 certified Coaches Huddles. Tremendous impact has been seen through 3Dimensional Coaching, an online curriculum that allows coaches to determine their transformational purpose in coaching. We hosted our third annual Coaches Ministry Academy where 54 national and international staff were trained and certified to present the 3D Coaching Strategy.
In addition, God has allowed us to have a footprint in 56 different countries around the world and FCA Sport-Specific Ministries has expanded into baseball, golf, cheerleading, endurance, ice hockey, lacrosse, motocross, soccer and wrestling.
Here in Eastern Iowa, we also are setting records for growth in many areas, but the need is great to reach more young people and coaches for Christ!
Has FCA been recognized nationally?
Yes. FCA has been honored by two highly prestigious organizations: Charity Navigator has given FCA its top Four Star rating to FCA’s development efforts (for a ninth consecutive year) and Chronicle of Philanthropy has named FCA in its top 400 non-profits in the United States. This puts FCA in the top 1% of all charities rated.
What is the vision and mission for FCA?
To see Eastern Iowa impacted for Jesus Christ through the influence of athletes and coaches. Our goal is to present to athletes and coaches and all whom they influence the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. The FCA Ministries encourage, equip and empower coaches and athletes on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels to use the powerful medium of sports to impact their world for Jesus Christ. The FCA Ministries are: Coaches Ministry, Campus Ministry, Camp Ministry and Community Ministry.
Why does FCA hold a banquet?
Banquets are a great way to cast the local vision of FCA, share the story, celebrate the work of FCA and encourage people to join the support team. The goal of the banquet is to emphasize the fact that everyone who cares about athletes and coaches can help through his or her involvement and investment. Our goal at each banquet is to continue to grow our “Home Team” (investors who give a minimum of $300/per year or $25/per month). Our theme for this year’s banquet is “RISE”, based on Joshua 1:9.
Why is your support now so important?
The Eastern Iowa FCA ministry was launched in June of 2004. Your support now is vital in further establishing the ministry in this part of the state. Our annual banquet is our major fundraising event to expand programs in local schools, hire more staff, send more kids to camp, distribute bibles and resources and to create additional ministry opportunities to coaches. Your support this year will help us to truly expand the work of the ministry. Throughout our 26-county area in Eastern Iowa, there is great interest in FCA, so the time is right to expand the impact!
How will my support directly impact FCA?
All funds raised go in support of the work of the local ministry including camp scholarships, the development of school huddles throughout Eastern Iowa, coach’s ministry events, and for the hiring of new staff members.
Can you tell me some of the highlights that have happened recently?
- We recently hired a full-time Office Manager, Paula Goerdt, to help with the growth of the Eastern Iowa FCA Ministry. Paula has worked in a local school system for the past ten years and is a great addition to our team!
- Ken Trautmann, our Area Rep for the Waterloo-Cedar Falls area, is doing an excellent job expanding the ministry impact in the Greater Cedar Valley area.
- Shannon Waring, began as an Area Rep for Eastern Iowa FCA in January and will be working closely with the Campus and Camps Ministry area.
- Over $15,000 was dedicated last summer to impact the lives of young people at an FCA Sports Camp or Leadership Camp through our annual Camp Scholarship Fund. Over the past 10 years alone, we have allocated over $70,000 for camp scholarships to bless and encourage young people from our area to attend an FCA Sports Camp.
- A record 350-plus (another “full house”) attended the FCA Sports Camp in Pella, Iowa with over eight different sports offered. This summer, a ninth sport, baseball is also being offered.
- Dan Dickel, a former University of Iowa and NFL football player and longtime high school coach, is our Coaches Ministry Coordinator and he continues to touch more lives each year through prayer support, bible studies, mentoring, staff visits and discipleship.
- We have launched a new “3D Coaches Program” to impact the lives of coaches throughout Eastern Iowa. Over 150 books have been given out and we have plans to conduct over 50 workshops this year alone.
- Three “Fields of Faith” events were held in our area, with over 5,000 people in attendance.
- Last year’s FCA Golf Day at Elmcrest Country Club (September 2015) was a successful event with over $30,000 raised.
- A growing number of FCA Huddles are starting in schools throughout our area including new chapters at several middle schools & high schools.
- Our 2015 FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet was a great success with over 600 people in attendance. Our guest speaker was former University of Texas standout, Colt McCoy (now with the NFL’s Washington Redskins).
- Our outstanding Leadership Board of Directors (now 15 members) have established some exciting new ministry goals for 2015-2016.
- We are seeing massive growth in many ministry areas, especially in the Greater Cedar Valley area where new staff member Ken Trautmann is serving. This growth includes numerous bible study groups at the University of Northern Iowa, a growing board of directors group in Cedar Falls, and many other exciting ministry events and programs!
- We are excited about our many local events including: See You At The Pole, Fields of Faith, training events, events for coaches, and much more!
- We continue to build bridges with local churches, schools, parents, community leaders and others interested in programs that positively impact the lives of young people....and we are experiencing rapid growth in every ministry area! Our goal in the coming years is to impact more coaches and athletes through the vehicle of FCA!
What schools have an FCA presence in Eastern Iowa?
We have a growing number of schools with an FCA Huddle including: Alburnett High School, Cedar Falls High School, Cedar Valley Christian, Center Point-Urbana High School, Coe College, Cornell College, Fairfield High School, Holmes Junior High School, Iowa City West High School, Iowa City High, Iowa Wesleyan College, Janesville High School, Jefferson High School, Kennedy High School, Kirkwood Community College, Linn-Mar High School, Luther College, Marion High School, McKinley Middle School, Mount Vernon High School, University of Northern Iowa, North Linn High School, Oelwein High School, Prairie Point Middle School, Prairie Senior High School, South Tama High School, Union High School, Upper Iowa University, Vinton-Shellsburg High School, Washington Senior High School, Waterloo East High School, Wartburg College, Waverly Shell-Rock High School, Waverly Shell-Rock Middle School, West Delaware High School.
We also have numerous expressions of interest from schools such as: Aplington-Parkersburg High School, Benton Community High School, Charles City High School, Cresco High School, Dike-New Hartford, Harding Middle School, Highland-Riverside High School, Independence High School, Isaac Newton School, Lisbon High School, Nashua-Plainfield High School, North Cedar High School, Osage High School, Ottumwa High School, Postville High School, Roosevelt Middle School, Solon High School, Twin Cedars High School, Waterloo East High School, Waterloo West High School, West Branch High School, West Liberty High School, Xavier High School, among several others.
Who oversees FCA in Eastern Iowa?
There is an established Board of Directors who oversees all aspects of the ministry. Carl Gonder is the Area Director and Jim Anderson is the Chairman of the local Leadership Board. Dave Turnball is the Iowa FCA State Director and Tim Johnson is the FCA Midwest Regional Director.
Why should I support the work of FCA?
God uses your prayers and financial support to make this ministry happen. Our practice has been to avoid sending out numerous mailings to persons in the community requesting contributions. This is the major fundraiser for the year for Eastern Iowa FCA. If God lays it on your heart to be part of something significant that impacts the lives of many throughout Eastern Iowa, then we would be very thankful.
Who is the guest speaker this year?
Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Olympic Champion and Voted Greatest Female Athlete of the 20th Century, and Neal Jeffrey, Former All-American Quarterback, author, and pastor, will be our guest speakers for the Eastern Iowa FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet on Sunday, April 17, 2016 at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. Jackie has an amazing faith story to share, and Neal shares at FCA events around the country and is one of the most unique and best speakers in the sports world today. It is a night you won’t want to miss!
What is the next step?
Call the Eastern Iowa FCA office on 319-832-1461 or consider being a Banquet Sponsor, Home Team member or a Table Host at the 2016 FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet.