What is FCA?
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is touching millions of lives … one heart at a time. Since 1954, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes has been challenging coaches and athletes on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels to use the powerful medium of athletics to impact the world for Jesus Christ. FCA is the largest interdenominational, school-based, Christian sports ministry in America. FCA focuses on serving local communities by equipping, empowering and encouraging people to make a difference for Christ.
What can you tell me about the impact of FCA?
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is on the front lines doing battle for the lives of young people in our community. For over 60 years, FCA has focused on instilling character and values in the lives of students across America---and now throughout the world. Highlights include:
- In 2018, through God’s power and with nearly 1,800 staff, over 93,000 donors and thousands of volunteers, FCA had a record-breaking year, reaching nearly two million people through our Four C’s of Ministry: Coaches, Campus, Camp and Community. 40,230 known commitments to Christ were celebrated across the United States and around the world!
- The largest and fastest-growing Christian sports ministry in the world (84 countries), last year over 500,000 students were reached in 18,474 campus-based FCA Huddles. Fields of Faith events reached more than 198,000 people on approximately 521 athletic fields. Of those attendees, 7,414 committed to Christ, 8,612 recommitted to Christ, and 8,781 committed to read the Bible. God has used Fields of Faith to impact over one million people since it first began in 2004.
- FCA distributed 236,490 Bibles worldwide in 2018. One of the most diverse and largest distributors of Bibles in the world, FCA has 14 different versions and recently released the first-ever Spanish and Russian athlete’s Bibles, along with a handbook for athletes in Korean. An astonishing 2.5 million Bibles have been distributed through FCA since 2004.
- On-line resources continue to grow in impacting lives each year. More than 500,000 people visited an FCA-related website in 2018 to learn about the ministry, download free resources and connect with ministry in their area. Each month over 150,000 people visit FCA on-line resources that offer videos, bible apps, reading plans, inspirational stories and much more. FCA has 25 bible reading plans with over 103,000 completions since 2013.
- Camp Ministry experienced another record-breaking year with a total attendance of 88,317 at 771 FCA Camps in 43 states and 50 countries. Many lives were impacted and transformed by outstanding competition and spiritual growth during FCA’s 62th camp season. The 2018 theme, “Strong” and theme verse (1 Timothy 4:7) challenged attendees to have the game-changing advantage of being spiritually strong. That is exactly what happened with 5,097 salvation decisions and 9,819 recommitments. Outside of the United States, 30,024 athletes attended 304 camps.
- Over the past year, we saw incredible impact with a record 1,374 certified Coaches Huddles. Also, God continues to use the 3Dimensional Coaching program, an online curriculum that has allowed thousands of coaches to determine their transformational purpose in coaching, while “capturing the heart behind the jersey.” FCA offers workshops, seminars, small groups, national conferences, conventions and high-impact on-line resources for coaches at all levels.
Has FCA been recognized nationally?
Yes. FCA continues to set a high standard in stewardship excellence and has been honored by two highly prestigious organizations: Charity Navigator has given FCA a top Four Star rating for FCA’s development efforts (for a 12th consecutive year) and Chronicle of Philanthropy has named FCA in the top 400 non-profits in the United States. This puts FCA in the top 1% of all charities rated.
What is the vision and mission for FCA?
To see Eastern Iowa transformed by Jesus Christ through the influence of coaches and athletes. Our goal is to present to coaches and athletes and all whom they influence the challenge and adventure of receiving Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, serving Him in their relationships and in the fellowship of the church. The FCA Ministries engage, equip and empower coaches and athletes on the professional, college, high school, junior high and youth levels to use the powerful medium of sports to impact their world for Jesus Christ. The FCA Ministries are: Coaches Ministry, Campus Ministry, Camp Ministry and Community Ministry.
Why does FCA hold a banquet?
Banquets are a great way to cast the local vision of FCA, share the story, celebrate the work of FCA and encourage people to join the support team. The goal of the banquet is to emphasize the fact that everyone who cares about coaches and athletes can help through his or her involvement and investment. Our goal at each banquet is to continue to grow our “Home Team” (investors who give a minimum of $300/per year or $25/per month). Our theme for this year’s banquet is “Let's Go”, based on Matthew 28:19-20.
Why is your support now so important?
The Eastern Iowa FCA ministry was launched in June of 2004. Your support now is vital in further establishing the ministry in this part of the state. Our annual banquet is our major fundraising event to expand programs in local schools, hire more staff, send more kids to camp, distribute Bibles and resources and to create additional ministry opportunities to coaches. Your support this year will help us to truly expand the work of the ministry. Throughout our 13-county area in Eastern Iowa, there is great interest in FCA, so the time is right to expand the impact!
How will my support directly impact FCA?
All funds raised go in support of the work of the local ministry including camp scholarships, the development of school huddles throughout Eastern Iowa, coach’s ministry events, and for the hiring of new staff members. The FCA Leadership Board plans to hire at least two new field staff members as soon as possible.
Can you tell me some of the local highlights that have happened recently?
We estimate that over 4,000 people are involved in FCA in Eastern Iowa in any given week in our 13-county area!
Aaron Reasland was hired as our first-ever College Ministry Rep and is being used by God in a big way at Coe College, Cornell College and Mount Mercy University.
Over $16,000 was dedicated last summer to impact the lives of young people at a FCA Sports Camp or Leadership Camp through our annual Camp Scholarship Fund. Over the past 12 years alone, we have allocated over $100,000 for camp scholarships to bless and encourage young people from our area to attend a FCA Camp.
This past summer a record 334-plus (another “full house”) attended the FCA Sports Camp in Pella, Iowa with over 10 different sports offered in our week of “inspiration and perspiration.” There we saw many changed lives & many commitments to Christ!
For the fifth straight year, we took a bus of local student leaders to the FCA Leadership Camp in Minnesota and provided scholarships to every attendee.
Ray Reasland, a former head high school and college coach, is our 3D Coaches Ministry Coordinator and is doing some amazing work with local coaches. We are expanding the scope and impact of 3Dimensional Coaching through workshops, seminars, personal visits and by helping with on-line resources and small group studies.
Several “Fields of Faith” events were held in our area, with over 2,000 people in attendance, including events at Union High School, West Delaware High School and Linn-Mar High School.
Last year’s FCA Golf Day at The Amana Colonies Golf Club (September 2018) was a very successful event with over $20,000 raised and over 60 golfers participating.
A number of FCA Huddles are starting in schools throughout our area including new chapters at several middle schools & high schools.
The 2018 FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet was a great success with over 700 people in attendance, one of the largest banquets ever held in Cedar Rapids. Our guest speaker was Kurt Warner, NFL Hall of Famer, who received a standing ovation.
Our outstanding Leadership Board of Directors (now 15 members) have established some exciting new ministry goals for 2019-2020.
We are seeing massive growth in many ministry areas, including sending more kids to camp each summer, starting new huddles, expanding our 3Dimensional Coach program, and many other exciting ministry events and programs---including See You At The Pole, Fields of Faith, outreach & training events and much more!e continue to build bridges with local churches, schools, parents, community leaders and others interested in programs that positively impact the lives of young people....and we are experiencing rapid growth in every ministry area!
Our goal in the coming years is to impact more coaches and athletes through the vehicle of FCA!
What schools have an FCA presence in Eastern Iowa? (includes the Greater Cedar Valley area)
We have a growing number of schools with an FCA Huddle including: Alburnett High School, Cedar Valley Christian, Central City High School, Center Point-Urbana High School, Clear Creek Amana High School, Coe College, Cornell College, Fairfield High School, George Washington High School, Iowa City West High School, Iowa City High School, Kennedy High School, Liberty High School, Linn-Mar High School, Lone Tree High School, Maquoketa Valley High School, Marion High School, McKinley Middle School, Mount Mercy University, Mount Vernon Middle School, Mount Vernon High School, North Linn Senior High School, Oak Ridge Middle School, Solon High School, South Tama County High School, Union High School, Vinton-Shellsburg High School, Washington (IA) High School, West Delaware High School, Williamsburg High School. (We also have numerous expressions of interest from several different schools).
Who oversees FCA in Eastern Iowa?
There is an established Board of Directors who oversees all aspects of the ministry. Jim Anderson is the Chairman of the local Leadership Board. Dave Turnball is the Iowa FCA State Director and Tim Johnson is the FCA Midwest Regional Director.
Why should I support the work of FCA?
God uses your prayers and financial support to make this ministry happen. Our practice has been to avoid sending out numerous mailings to persons in the community requesting contributions. This is the major fundraiser for the year for Eastern Iowa FCA. If God lays it on your heart to be part of something significant that impacts the lives of many throughout Eastern Iowa, then we would be very thankful.
Who is the guest speaker this year?
Award-winning Christian comedian, Dennis “The Swan” Swanberg will be our guest speaker for the 15th annual Eastern Iowa FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet on Sunday, April 14, 2019 at the Cedar Rapids Marriott. Swanberg is one of the funniest and most unique speakers in America today and is an author, TV personality and humorist. He travels the world speaking to thousands. It is a night you won’t want to miss!
What is the next step?
Call the Eastern Iowa FCA office on 319-832-1461 to be a Banquet Sponsor, Home Team member or a Table Host for the 2019 FCA Home Team Drive and Banquet.